American Idol Returns: How About Returning THESE Gems From 2002?
With American Idol returning, the cycle of nostalgia has moved into this century. “old school Ja Rule” is now part of the conversation. June of 2002 brought us the very first episodes of American Idol, complete with Brian Dunkleman. (who has never quite recovered from his oust) Will this open the floodgates to all things ’02? Here are a few possibilities:
1. Hip Hop – We already gave a shout out to Ja Rule, but who wouldn’t live for the prime days of Ludacris, Chingy, Fat Joe, 50 Cent, Eminem, and others. Not everyone gets to make an unlikely comeback like Sean Paul.
2. Mr. Deeds – Mainly, because it’s been fairly downhill for Adam Sandler ever since this one. Don’t call Grownups a comeback, they were as cashed in as creatively possible.
3. Ted Williams – The legendary slugger passed away in July 2002. However, Williams had his head separated from his body and frozen – he and his children agreed to each have it done so they could once again be together at some point in the future.
4. Joe Millionaire – While technically not on TV until January of ’03, there was huge buzz over the show starring Evan Marriot throughout the second half of the year. The basic premise is that Evan has inherited millions of dollars and is searching for a potential bride. But wait, there’s a twist! (da duh daahhhh) He’s really a construction worker. Who knows how this would play in ’17.
5. The Super Bowl Champs – Psych! (how 2002 of us) Hey, the more things change, the more they stay the same.