As Maine’s credit unions celebrate International Credit Union Week, they also celebrate that they are unique in the financial world. What makes them so different is their membership. They’re non-profit and member owned. As a member, you have a say in how they do business. Plus, credit unions can provide a wide range of services at lower rates and often little to no fees! Discover the advantage of membership!
What are the advantages of joining a credit union in Maine? According to the Maine's Credit Union website:
Over 260 ATMs in Maine
Need cash and with no surcharge?
More branches than most banks
You’re welcome at over 170 credit union branches in Maine and over 5,700 across the country. We call it Shared Branching.
A local presence
A credit union is a local business. As a member, you’re an owner. Plus, we’re “Maine People Helping Maine People.” The Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger has raised over $7.2 million since 1990!
The most popular mobile apps
Timesavers are essentials—like depositing a check with a few taps on your smartphone.
Lower fees. Lower terms
Plus, credit unions are rated #1 for some of the best rates around.
Mainers are joining credit unions in record numbers — nearly 690,000 members. It’s a value and a connection like no other.
- The Maine Credit Union League developed the CU Campaign for Ending Hunger in association with Partners in Ending Hunger as a way to create a statewide social responsibility program to help end hunger in Maine. Credit unions began raising money for Ending Hunger in 1990.
- Participation in the Campaign and funds raised have increased over the twenty-eight years of the Maine Credit Unions’ Campaign for Ending Hunger
- Since 1990, the Credit Union Campaign for Ending Hunger has raised over $7.2 million.
- Last year 58 Maine credit unions and eight Maine CU Chapters raised a record-setting $675,000.
- The Campaign has raised $100,000 or more for twenty-one consecutive years, surpassed the $200,000 mark the past thirteen years, exceeded $300,000 for the past eleven years in a row, topped the $400,000 mark raised for six years in a row, exceeded the $500,000 plateau for the past four years, and the 2016 Campaign marked the second consecutive year that the Campaign surpassed the $600,000 milestone.
- 100% of all money raised goes to the cause of ending hunger.